Friday, March 4, 2011
i definitely have an infinity for chickpeas and lentils...
here is a recipe for a vegan lentil loaf i made last week...really yummy...and filling and quite nutritious...
1/4 cup of bbq sauce (i used organicville original)
1 tbsp XXX hot mustard
whisk both ingredients together and set aside...it's a very smoky hot concoction...yum!
1/2 cup of uncooked millet, rinsed in cold water
1 1/2 cups of water
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup of uncooked lentils, rinsed in cold water
2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 celery stalks diced
8 ounces mushrooms, diced finely
1 tbsp shoyu
3/4 cup rolled oats, finely ground
1/2 cup chickpea flour
* preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
* place millet, 1 1/2 cups of water, and pinch of salt in saucepan, bring to a boil. lower heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until water is absorbed.
* place the lentils, water, and salt in saucepan, bring to a boil. lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes, until water is nearly gone and lentils are very soft, with splitting skins.
* sauté the onion, celery, mushrooms and carrots in oil/spray until soft, about 5 minutes.
* mix the lentils, millet, onions, carrots, pepper, and shoyu in large bowl, then mix in the ground oats, and chickpea flour.
* knead mixture for 2-3 minutes to evenly distribute the ingredients and to activate chickpea flour.
* form the lentil mixture into a loaf and place in a greased baking/loaf dish or pan.
* spread glaze evenly over lentil loaf
* bake for 45 minutes...and enjoy...
Posted by Nelly at 1:40 PM